Frequently asked questions


Where can I get housing information?

Victoria University housing web page provides a broad range of information and options including university accommodation UniLodge VU and off-campus accommodation.

The Student Housing Guide produced by Student Support provides practical housing information and work pages to assist students when looking at properties.

You can obtain more information on the housing webpage.    Speak to a Student Advisor at VUHQ for more information.



Phone: 03 9919 6100

Where can I get tenancy information or advice?

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) is responsible for the administration of the Residential Tenancies Act.

You can obtain copies of Renting a Home: A Guide for Tenants or Rooming Houses: A guide for Residents and other relevant information and forms from Consumer Affairs Victoria - or phone 1300 558181 or call into their office at 113 Exhibition Street, Melbourne.

CAV publications are also available in many other languages.

Tenants Victoria (TV) also provide basic information and advice to tenants. The TV web page has an excellent range tenancy issue sheets and step by step guides in a broad range of languages. or get phone advice 9.00am to 4.00pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 1.00pm to 8.00pm Wednesday on (03) 9416 2577
(Closed on public holidays)

Am I eligible for financial assistance for housing?

Rent Assistance - Students receiving a Commonwealth Support benefit or pension and living away from home and paying rent may be eligible for Rent Assistance - contact Centrelink for more information.

Bond Loan Scheme - Australian resident students on low income may be eligible for a Bond Loan for a rental property, co-tenancy in a rental property or as a resident in a rooming house. Students living in University operated accommodation are not eligible for a Bond Loan but may be eligible for a VU Student Loan. Contact Dept of Human Services to apply.

Health Care Card Concession - Australian resident students receiving NO or low income are eligible for a Low Income Health Care Card which will provide a range of discount concessions including gas, electricity and water. For more information go to:

Scholarships - the university has a range of scholarships to assist Higher Education and TAFE students with their living and education costs. See Scholarships web page for more information at

Centrelink Relocation Scholarship - are available for dependent students who need to live away from their family home located in a regional or remote area to study and are receiving full or part Youth Allowance or Abstudy, studying fulltime in approved scholarship course. For more information and full criteria go to:

Centrelink Advance Payment - Students receiving a Commonwealth pension and some benefits are eligible to apply for a cash advance which could be used for housing costs. Contract Centrelink for more details.

Student Loan - up to $500 interest free is available as a last resource. Strict conditions apply. Make an appointment to see a Senior Advisor-Welfare on 9919 6100.

Housing Establishment Funds (HEF) - is a Victorian Government initiative that aims to address and prevent homelessness by providing financial assistance to individuals and families (Australian Residents) who are homeless or in housing crisis. Funds may be provided for rent in advance (private rental) or rent in arrrears (private rental) or emergency housing. An eligibility criteria applies. For further information about HEF phone 1800 825 955.

Emergency relief for International students - emergency assistance and funds may be available from Study Melbourne Centre, 599 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne. Phone 1800 056 449

Utility Relief Grant Scheme - available to eligible domestic customers experiencing unexpected hardship that you cannot pay your utility bills and are at risk of disconnection or non-supply. Application forms are available from your gas, electricity or water companies.

Insurance - Provides students on low incomes affordable household contents, car or home insurance. The Good Shepherd has negotiated affordable premiums with low excess and flexible payment options specifically for people on low incomes. Customers can also choose to pay premiums annually, monthly or fortnightly instalments and use Centrepay (Centrelink’s payment program) to manage payments. For more information on Good Insurance(external link)